• Corner bead

    A strip of formed sheet metal placed on the outside corners of drywall before applying “mud.”

  • Construction drywall

    A type of construction in which the interior wall finish is applied in a dry condition, generally in the form of sheet materials or wood paneling as contrasted to plaster.

  • Butt joint

    The junction where the ends of two timbers meet, and also where sheets of drywall meet on the 4-foot edge. To place materials end-to-end or end-to-edge without overlapping.

  • Bull nose

    Rounded drywall corners.

  • Backing

    Frame lumber installed between the wall studs to give additional support for drywall or an interior trim-related item such as handrail brackets, cabinets, and towel bars. In this way, items are screwed and mounted into solid wood rather than weak drywall that may allow the item to break loose from the wall. Carpet backing holds the pile fabric in place.

  • Drywall

    Interior covering material, such as gypsum board or plywood, which is applied in large sheets or panels.

    (or gypsum wallboard (GWB), sheet rock or plasterboard) — Wall board or gypsum — A manufactured panel made out of gypsum plaster and encased in a thin cardboard.
    Usually 1/2 thick and 4 ×8 or 4 ×12 in size. The panels are nailed or screwed onto the framing and the joints are taped and covered with a “joint compound.” “Green board” type drywall has a greater resistance to moisture than regular (white) plasterboard and is used in bathrooms and other “wet areas.”